In a previous article on my blog I discussed everything about microgreens and why you should eat them. Hopefully I have convinced you all to try the nutrient dense sprouting seeds! If you haven’t read the article, you can read it HERE.
Microgreen seed suppliers are abundant and in this current article we discuss where to buy microgreens seeds and what to look for when making your purchase so you can get the best quality seeds and grow them yourself.
What Are Microgreen Seeds?
Microgreens seeds are usually no different than a regular seed you would plant to grow a vegetable, fruit, herb or flower. They are simply harvested before they are full grown in between the phases of the sprout and a baby greens plant phase. As I stated in the article referenced above, microgreens are much more nutritious than their full grown counterparts.
Home gardeners and commercial growers all over the country grow microgreens and either sell them, or grow microgreens for home use.
Should I Buy Certified Organic Seeds?
There are a few things to consider when buying seeds to start growing microgreens to ensure they are healthy and safe to consume.
- Make sure your seeds are not chemically treated. Sometimes plant seeds are treated with chemicals to prevent mold, accelerate germination and prevent insects from eating them. Making sure your seeds are chemical free is important.
- Make sure your seeds are organic seeds. Certified organic seeds means that in order to carry the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) Certified Organic Seal, 100% of the product must be completely organic or 95-99% of it must be organic with the other percentage that is non organic being made of ingredients approved by the USDA.In order to be considered certified organic strict guidelines regarding soil quality, use of additives, pest and weed control, water systems and crop health must be strictly abided by. Yearly onsite inspections are done on all farmers who must keep in depth records in order to obtain and keep organic certification.
- Make sure seeds are non gmo seeds. GMO stand for genetically modified organism. Non GMO means that the product you are consuming is made of non genetically modified organisms.There is a ton of debate on whether or not GMO foods are bad for humans or if they are fine for humans to consume. The problem with the studies done on GMO foods is that the studies were actually conducted by the companies selling the GMO food which creates a bit of bias when considering the results. For that reason we are sticking with purchasing our seeds from non gmo provider who must go through a three to six month initial certification process which must be re applied for every year.
What Are The Best Microgreen Seeds Suppliers?
Hopefully you are ready to grow your own food! When you search up microgreens on the internet you are going to find plenty of places that sell them both online and in a storefront. Buy microgreen seeds from reputable seed growers to ensure that the quality of your seeds is up to par.
Information about the company is typically found either on their home page or on the about me page. Many reputable seed suppliers have reviews from their customers readily available and even showing on their internet home page. Always consider the three characteristics above when you buy seeds.
Without further ado, let’s get into my top 5 picks for the best microgreen seeds supplier.
Seeds Now is a company that prides itself on being 100% non GMO. They want to leave no doubt, (they even state this on their About Us page) that their products do not contain any genes caused by human intervention or any other type of intervention. I love how bold they are about stating what they believe in and their stance on GMO seeds. They also have a ton of reviews linked on their home page. You even get a free kale seed kit with your first order!
1. Non GMO – none of their seeds have any GMO properties, AND… they carry the Safe Seed Pledge which states they do not support or buy products from any company that makes GMO seeds.
2. Certified Organic – all of their seeds are organic seeds and are not treated with any chemicals
3. Satisfaction Guaranteed! – If you are not satisfied with your purchase you will get your money back.
The Seeds Now website is really easy to navigate and you can select microgreen seeds to purchase by many different categories such as the culinary herb collection or the medicinal collection.
Additionally they offer a “daily deals” and monthly grow boxes which is a subscription based seed delivery option in which you can choose from many options for microgreen seeds to be delivered on a monthly basis. The seed variety is huge to pick from and it really makes growing microgreens in your home appealing and easy.
true leaf market
True Leaf Market
True Leaf Market is located in Salt Lake City, UT, has been around since 1974 and they are proud to be your “Non GMO Seed Source”. Their about me page has a story about their roots and a picture of their staff and CPO (Chief Pest Officer) cat Taylor!
They sell a wide array of products and supplies for helping grow seeds like trays, in addition to all types of seeds and growing kits. The website contains a learning center and growing guides for any type of seed you would like to learn to grow. It’s crazy – but they even have a Tofu growing kit!
- Non GMO – they also carry the Safe Seed Pledge regarding GMO products
- Certified Organic – they have a page dedicated on their website showing all of their certifications
- Unconditionally Guarantee all their seeds for 30 days after the date of purchase.
the living seed co.
The Living Seed Company
The Living Seed Company is an organic seed farm based out of North Carolina. This company has been around since 2011 and is dedicated to world peace and teaching others about the art of seed growing.
The website offers a 10% discount off of your first order and bundles or collections for different categories of seeds such as the Pizza Collection, and the Micro Garden Collection that place seeds together that you may combine in certain recipes.
- Non GMO & neonicotinoid-free – Neonicotinoid is a pesticide often sprayed on seeds to avoid fungus and insect infestation.
- Certified Organic-Living Seed is certified organic however they do offer some seeds that are just organic although everything is grown to beyond certified organic standards.
- Unconditional Exchange for all seeds purchased if you are unsatisfied
high mowing seeds
High Mowing Seeds
Founded in 1996 High Mowing Seeds believes in an inspired view of our environment that supports the cause of living greener, healthier and more environmentally friendly. They have developed partnerships with fellow farmers who are also committed to growing and producing organic non gmo seeds.
High Mowing Seeds is passionate about supporting the work of organic growers. All of their seeds are…
- Non GMO –
- Certified Organic – and according to them bred to thrive in organic growing conditions
- Unconditional Exchange or Return – HMS wants you 100% happy with your purchase and if you are not they will provide a replacement product or refund your purchase.
Hamama is quite a cool company. It was founded by Camille and Daniel who went to school together at MIT. They knew as mechanical engineers that they wanted to have a positive impact on peoples lives but they weren’t sure how. After working together in the MIT media lab researching high tech indoor agriculture they came up with a plan to help the world grow healthy food from their homes. Hamama was born and they use predominantly seed kits and grow blankets for microgreen seeds to grow.
- Organic – None of their seeds are ever exposed to fertilizers, chemicals, pesticides or even soil.
- Exchanges/Returns – Hamama offers returns on unopened products within 30 days but does not pay for return shipping. If your product is opened and you are unhappy, they will rectify the situation somehow after you contact their store.
The Hamama site is one of my favorites of these top 5. I love how they have a bunch of “kits” available for purchase that include growing trays, and seed quilts. They have seed quilt refills in the situation you already have a tray.
Here is a video so you can see how the seed quilt works!
Microgreens Grow Kit
This simple microgreen kit is available on Amazon and makes it really easy to grow some seeds!
There are three different varieties of seeds in this kit which will give you a sample so you can decide what you like!
As the popularity of microgreen seeds grows, more information will become available about their benefits. Online stores will become more visible and places locally to purchase microgreen seeds will be more prevalent.
I intend to grow my own microgreens seeds this winter so I can eat them with tacos and even put them in my smoothies. I have found that adding veggies to my fruit smoothies is an easy way to add flavor and get in a couple servings without having to go to too much extra trouble.
Why not add in something that is going to help you live a longer healthier life?
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best seeds for microgreens?
Beginner farmers usually start out growing seeds like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, mustard, chia, sunflower or buckwheat in the same container. You can also grow several seeds and microgreen seed mixes when you harvest a bunch at a time.
Are microgreen seeds the same as regular seeds?
Microgreen seeds have the same characteristics as normal seeds and they are the same varieties that become big plants and are grown in gardens and found in grocery stores. Microgreen seeds can be grown from any standard seed type, but certain seeds should be favored. The difference is how long the seeds grow before they are harvested.
Do microgreens regrow after cutting?
According to gardeniaorganic.com there are a few microgreen seeds that regrow after cutting. With that being said, there are certain conditions that need to be present in order for the regrowth to happen. The microgreen seeds that regrow after cutting are:
- Pea shoots
*Some links are affiliates. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post at no additional cost to you.